Hello friends, it’s Friday! I hope you all had a wonderful week and are now ready for the weekend! I hope you’re also ready for this week’s Character of the Week! Hmmm, who could it be? *cue Jeopardy theme* This week I want to give a shout out to one of my top 10 favourite characters, er, at least according to my “Get To Know Me Again” meme on Tumblr, anyways. I met this character way back in 2015 when I first read their book and I fell in love immediately. They were completely different from all the usual YA characters that were thrown and me and, to be honest, they were one of the first characters I truly felt a connection to. I can’t imagine not having this character in my life.
Without further ado, this week’s character is…..
WHO IS THIS CHARACTER?
For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of meeting this lovely lady, Scarlet Benoit is from the spectacular series The Lunar Chronicles. This is a series that’s like classic fairytale retelling meets sci-fi meets YA and it’s insane how it all works. You first meet Scarlet in the second book of the series, appropriately named Scarlet. Can you guess which fairytale she’s based off of? Ding, ding, ding! It’s Little Red Riding Hood!!! But this girl isn’t scared of the big bad Wolf…..he’s probably more scared of her (sidenote: I love Wolf with all my heart he is so precious!!!). Anyways, Scarlet’s story is mainly set in France where she lives on a farm with her grandmother who is mysteriously missing, but no one really believes her because apparently grandma Benoit is crazy. As you can see, this is following the story of Little Red Riding Hood quite nicely, but there’s more to Scarlet than just that. She’s never afraid to speak her mind and tell people exactly what she’s thinking, but she’s also understanding and sympathetic. But don’t underestimate her size, she can be incredibly strong and intimidating when necessary. I don’t think there’s a single thing about Scarlet that I don’t love. She’s amazing.
- Her birthday is August 17
- She’s 5’6 and very curvy
- She has wild and curly red hair and a face full of freckles
- She is half Lunar and half Earthen
- Her signature outfit is a red hoodie, which was given to her by her grandmother, and loves wearing it because of how it clashes with her hair
- She learned how to shoot a gun when she was younger and always carries it with her in case she needs to defend herself
- She is an incredibly talented pilot
- She’s Wolf’s alpha female
- “Are you asking me to be your alpha female?”
- “I just think we shouldn’t judge her, or anyone, without trying to understnd them first. That maybe we should get the full story before jumping to conclusions. Crazy notion, I know.”
- “If I had the gift, I would have shown those snotty imbeciles a thing or two. See how they like being asked to do tricks.”
- “You just look so scared, like I’m going to disappear at any minute. We’re stuck on a spaceship, Wolf. I’m not going anywhere.”
- “Yeah, well, I try to think for myself once in a while, rather than believe in the ridiculous propaganda the media would have us believe.”