I believe that this tag game is appropriately named because I am absolutely freaking out that we’re already at the mid-year point!! How did that even happen??? Wasn’t it just Christmas last week?? Good lord, this is getting out of hand. Anyways, my good friend Sara (@thebookcycle), who you should all be following, tagged me in this fun little game so let’s get started!!
1. BEST BOOK YOU’VE READ SO FAR IN 2017
- Oh man, ok well there are two books that are strong contenders for this title but ultimately I think the title’s gonna have to go to One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus. I know, I know, I just read it this week but I’m pretty sure it blew every other book I’ve read thus far out of the water. It was thrilling, captivating, and full of characters that I love so much (shout out to my boy Nate *heart eyes*).
2. BEST SEQUEL YOU’VE READ SO FAR IN 2017
- By far, the best sequel I’ve read is Infini by Krista and Becca Ritchie. I was waiting for that book for the longest time, wanting to know so much more about Luka and the rest of the Kotova family and thank god this book was worth the wait. I love so many things about K&B’s writing but I feel like they really outdid themselves with this sequel. Although I probably love it’s predecessor more, this is still a fantastic book.
3. NEW RELEASE YOU HAVEN’T READ YET BUT WANT TO
- Ok, don’t get mad, but I still haven’t read Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken and I’m so ashamed of myself. In my defence, it came out at a HORRIBLE time for me because so many other books came out around that time plus there was school and yeah, I still haven’t bought it but I’m going to soon, I promise!! I really love Bracken’s writing and her new series is so good and promising so I’m hoping I can pick this book up some time in the near future.
4. MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASE FOR THE SECOND HALF OF THE YEAR
- Oh, this is gonna be the easiest answer I’ll give: The Becoming of Noah Shaw by Michelle Hodkin. In case you didn’t know, this new series is a spinoff from Hodkin’s amazing Mara Dyer trilogy but now Noah will be our narrator. I cannot wait to get back to this world and be in Noah’s head. I feel like his voice will be quite the contrast to Mara’s but in a really good way. I’m slightly worried for the status of their relationship in this new series but I’m sure it’ll be fine…..right?
5. BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT
- Crystal Storm by Morgan Rhodes was pretty disappointing. Long story short, the series has become something I’m not overly happy with and I can barely stand any of the characters anymore. The plot is ridiculous now and the writing is, well, unbearable. I don’t think I’ll be continuing this series, even though there’s only one book left. I can’t do it.
6. BIGGEST SURPRISE
- I feel like Bully by Penelope Douglas was the biggest surprise for me. I had this book recommended to me by a very good friend because, ok if I’m being honest I was looking for a book involving a bad boy because a) that’s my kink and b) I was going through a serious bad boy drought. So she had recommend this to me but was wary over it because she thought I’d view it as an abusive relationship, which is my #1 deal breaker. But it didn’t come to that so I was definitely yet pleasantly surprised by this book! However, I prefer one of it’s sequels, Falling Away, muuuuuch more.
7. FAVOURITE NEW AUTHOR
- Hands down, my favourite new author is Kristen Callihan, who wrote the Game On series and VIP series. Again, my friend recommend the first VIP book to me and I just fell completely in love. She’s not a NEW new author, as in new this year, but she’s new to me which is what counts. I don’t know what it is about her writing but I love literally everything about it. I trust her completely and I firmly believe that she’ll never let me down.
8. FAVOURITE NEW CRUSH
- Oh no, please don’t ask me this. This is the worst question to ask me. I honestly cannot pick just one, but if I had to it’d be Luca Falcone from the Blood for Blood series by Catherine Doyle. That boy is my sun, moon, and stars. He’s the best boy in the world and the biggest nerd. He became so important to me near the end of this series and I just love him so, so much.
9. FAVOURITE NEW CHARACTERS
- I think the characters from Flame in the Mist are quite deserving of this title. Mariko is amazing, I love Okami so much, and Ranmaru is pretty fantastic. These three have the makings of a pretty epic squad.
10. A BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY
- I’m gonna be honest…..I don’t think a book has made me cry yet. I THINK I cried at the end of Mafiosa by Catherine Doyle because of Luca Falcone so let’s go with that one. I haven’t read anything that really made me bawl like a few that did last year but there’s still plenty of time to rectify that.
11. A BOOK THAT MADE YOU HAPPY
- This one is actually a tie between Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han and Tangled by Emma Chase. Always and Forever, Lara Jean made me happy in that wonderful soft way, turning my heart to goo over Lara Jean and Peter K because they’re just so cute together and it was so great to see them be happy and in love. Tangled made me happy because I swear to god I laughed almost the entire time. Drew Evans is just so ridiculous and hilarious that he constantly puts a smile on my face.
12. MOST BEAUTIFUL BOOKS YOU’VE BOUGHT THIS YEAR
- LOOK AT THE BEAUTIFUL COLOUR SCHEMES. Every time I look at these two covers I fall in love instantly. They’re unbelievably gorgeous.
13. BOOKS YOU NEED TO READ BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR
- Ok, apart from anything I’ve mentioned above, I definitely need to read Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab (which I just bought!!!), Damaged Like Us by Krista and Becca Ritchie, Royally Endowed by Emma Chase, Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, and literally any book by Melina Marchetta because I hear her books are amazing and I’m going to make it my mission to read at least one of her books before the year is up.
What’s the best book you’ve read so far this year? What surprised you? Leave a comment below!