Another week has flown by which means that’s time for yet another COTW!! Last night I was going through my books on Goodreads trying to figure out which character I should feature this week and then it hit me. It was like an epiphany. I’m not sure why I haven’t done this character before. This character is one of the best characters you could ever ask for. They are multi-layered, beautiful, badass, and just all around amazing. The series they appear in is also a masterpiece so it’s only right that this character reflects the book in the same way.
This week’s character is…..
WHO IS THIS CHARACTER?
If you don’t know already, or if you’ve been living under a rock, Nina Zenik is a character from the amazing, fantastic, showstopping, masterpiece Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. The story is, in a nutshell, about six criminal teenagers attempting to pull off a next-to-impossible heist. If you’ve seen my Top Five Tuesday from last week then you’ll know how much I love this series and how highly I think of it. Now I just want to make a tiny disclaimer: Nina is not my favourite character. “What?!” you say?? Well before you attack me, let me explain myself. I don’t even HAVE a favourite character! They’re ALL my favourite! I could never say that one is better than the other because they’re all so fantastic. But Nina is still very special to me. Nina is bold, she is loud, she is hilarious, and most of all she is beautiful. She is also a Grisha, which is more or less the equivalent of being a witch, and she’s known as a Heartrender, meaning she can manipulate others’ heart and organs with her powers. What I love most about Nina is that she would do anything to help and protect her friends, like taking a dangerous drug that heightened her powers but could also kill her. She has so much loyalty in her and that is something I value a lot. And then there’s her relationship with Matthias, a drüskelle (essentially a witch hunter). Nina always manages to surprise and fluster Matthias and it not only makes him love her more but me as well. All of the Dregs are important to me and I love them so much, but Nina deserves a little bit of the spotlight today.
- She has green eyes and light brown hair
- She is originally from Ravka
- She is tall and “curvaceous”
- She loves cake and waffles
- She is a Grisha soldier of the Second Army
- She’s bisexual
- She can speak multiple languages including Kerch, Kaelish, Suli, Fjerdan, Ravkan, and Zemeni
- Matthias has nicknamed her “little red bird”
- “You’re better that waffles, Matthias Helvar.”
- “I mean the little rescues. Laughing at my jokes. Forgiving me when I was foolish. Never trying to make me feel small. It doesn’t matter if it’s next month, or next year, or ten years from now, those will be the things I remember when I see you again.”
- “So you have a different name for killing when you wear a uniform to do it?”
- “I flirt with women too.”
- “[It’s not natural for women to fight.] It’s not natural for someone to be as stupid as he is tall, and yet there you stand.”
- “Behave or Nina Zenik will get you? Well, I do like the sound of that.”
- “I just raised the dead. Do you really want to argue with me?”